The Writers Guild strike is nearly over. A vote is scheduled for Tuesday and it appears that they will be picking up their pencils later this week. Too bad for the producers of the 50th annual Grammy Awards who, although they had brokered a deal to allow the show to proceed, clearly didn’t have the full force of the creative community at their disposal. The music industry is in trouble, and this “celebration” of talent is a sad acknowledgment of that reality. The only thing that may help the ratings this year is that the awards show didn’t have to compete against a new episode of Desperate Housewives!
Ratings Update: The Grammy Awards pulled a 6.9 rating from the 18-49 demo, sharply down from last year and one of the poorest showings ever. Adding insult to injury, the audience was not much larger than that for ABC’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.
- A Jazz album won Record of the Year once again…only 43 years since the first and only time that has happened.
- Watching Amy Winehouse is like watching an accident…you can’t help but look.
- Brad Paisley sang a song about ticks…and I mean the blood-sucking kind.
- The best line of the night was unscripted…Vince Gill poking at Kanye.
- And oh yeah, Barak Obama beat out Bill Clinton for the “Best Spoken Word Album” award!
See all the winners at the Grammy website.